Mother’s Day is quickly approaching and you’re probably looking for the perfect gift to honour the mother figures in your life.
You may be thinking of something that’s practical, like a new kitchen appliance, or something luxurious, like a day at the spa, but have you considered a gift that also benefits the planet?
Now, more than ever, there are so many great eco-friendly gifting options.
We’ve rounded up some of the coolest and craftiest ideas, that any mum will love!
Here are some eco-friendly gift ideas for Mother’s Day:
1. A plant: Plants not only provide a natural touch to any space, but they also have many health benefits. They can help clean the air, reduce stress, and improve mood. A plant is a gift that keeps on giving. If you happen to be in the Watford area we recommend checking out The Indoor Plant company, which also plants trees for every plant they sell.
2. Reusable water bottle and utensils: There are so many to choose from, one of our favourites is the on-the-go bundle from Bambuu brush which includes a water bottle, coffee cup, straw and cutlery.
3. A donation to a sustainable cause: Instead of giving a physical gift, consider making a donation to a sustainable cause in your mother’s name. This could be a local environmental group, a wildlife conservation organization, or any other cause that aligns with her values.
4. Ethically made bedding: Who doesn’t love the feel of clean sheets and a great night’s sleep? Check out the Ethical bedding company, which are a registered B-Corp. You’ll find beautifully made, affordable bedding and gifts that guarantee your mum will wake up feeling refreshed.
5. Beautiful homeware items: Our homes are our castles, and decorating them can often be a lifelong task. There are more sustainable homeware brands than ever before. We love Ian Snow and their gorgeous, fairtrade, vintage & bohemian style items, ranging from cushions, handpainted mirrors, rugs and much more. You’ll find something for every budget here.
6. The perfect gift for peanut butter lovers: If your mum has a love of peanut butter then you must check out Superfoodio. In partnership with Leaving a Legacy they launched their Ethical Tree-T box which is packed with yummy treats ad a tree-planting gift certificate.
7. Art work: Bring nature inside with a fantastic print that your Mum will love. Ellisimo offers gorgeous prints and plants trees for every product they sell.
8. Jewellery: Whether your mum likes sparkle or simplicity, jewellery can be a lovely gift. We absolutely love Anuka Jewellery. Our pick from their site are these gorgeous crawler earrings made from recycled gold and silver.
9. Secondhand, vintage & antique finds: There are now secondhand shops on almost every high street in the UK. They can be a great place to find some hidden treasures. You can also check out local flea markets, car boot sales and even local auction houses. Secondhand items are a truly sustainable way of gifting. If you’re pushed for time check out online marketplaces where you can use filters to quickly narrow down items that are in keeping with your mum’s taste.
10. Plant a tree with Leaving a Legacy: Leaving a Legacy is an eco-friendly gift service that allows you to plant a tree in honour of your mum. This service not only helps reduce carbon emissions but also helps to restore natural habitats and supports local communities. By gifting a tree, you are providing a long-lasting legacy for your mother and for the planet.
If you’re feeling crafty why not consider a handmade gift?
Homemade gifts are often considered more thoughtful and can be an eco-friendly way to celebrate Mother’s Day.
Here are some ideas for homemade gifts:
1. DIY herbal tea blend: If your mother enjoys tea, create a custom herbal tea blend using herbs like lavender, chamomile, or peppermint. Package the blend in a reusable jar or tin, and include brewing instructions.
2. Handmade natural soap: Soap is a practical and useful gift that can be made at home using natural ingredients like coconut oil, shea butter, and essential oils. There are many tutorials and recipes available online, and you can customize the scent and packaging to your mother’s preferences.
3. Upcycled planters: Turn old tin cans, mason jars, or wine bottles into unique and stylish planters. Decorate them with paint, decoupage, or ribbon and fill them with herbs, succulents, or other small plants.
4. Homemade beeswax candles: Beeswax candles are a sustainable and natural alternative to paraffin candles. They have a sweet, honey-like scent and burn cleanly. You can make them at home using beeswax sheets, wicks, and essential oils for scent.
5. Hand-knitted or crocheted accessories: If you are skilled in knitting or crocheting, consider making a scarf, hat, or mittens for your mother. Choose eco-friendly and sustainable yarn made from organic cotton, bamboo, or recycled materials.
6. DIY body scrubs or bath salts: Create a spa-like experience at home with homemade body scrubs or bath salts made from natural ingredients like sea salt, coconut oil, and essential oils. Package them in a reusable jar or container and include instructions for use.
7. Homemade baked goods: If your mother has a sweet tooth, bake her favourite treat from scratch using organic and locally sourced ingredients. Package them in a reusable tin or basket and include a handwritten note.
Eco-friendly gift ideas can not only show your appreciation for your mother but also help reduce waste and protect our environment.
By making sustainable choices, we can all make a positive impact on the planet.
Consider any of the above eco-friendly gift ideas, including planting a tree with Leaving a Legacy, to celebrate Mother’s Day in a meaningful and sustainable way.